Log home living is more than simply building a house made of logs. It's a complete lifestyle, focusing on the good things in life, what makes us happy and comfortable. And nobody understands this better than the folks at Honest Abe.
Green Building Initiative:
Educational Programs for Customers and Builders
Good Stewardship of our Forests
- Honest Abe Log Homes utilizes Eastern White Pine for constructing or log walls. White Pine is proven to be a fast growing, sustainable natural resource with many benefits to the log home industry. Honest Abe purchases timbers from suppliers like Parton Lumber Company, member of the "Sustainable Forestry Initiative." Proper forestry management has always been an important issue to Honest Abe Log Homes.
Excellence in Planning, Products, Manufacturing & Efficiency
- Honest Abe Log Homes can provide Green products such as; Advantech subfloor decking, JELD-WEN Energy Star windows, Boise Cascade engineered materials, and more.
- Numbering of materials on plans, our pre-cut wall system and attention to energy efficient details help reduce jobsite errors and waste.
- By-products created through the manufacturing process, such as pine sawdust and shavings, are sold to a sister-company of Honest Abe Log Homes. This company prepares and packages the materials for use as animal bedding and soil additives.
- In like manner, Honest Abe purchases hardwood sawdust, a by-product of a local mill. This sawdust is burned using EPA standards to heat the kilns which dry our logs and timbers.
- Timbers not suitable for use in the log walls are re-worked to be used as smaller components of homes, such as porch pickets, railing and interior structural elements. There is virtually no waste of timbers or logs.
Consultation throughout the Planning and Building Process
- Honest Abe's Design and Drafting Department, as overseen by Fred Kendall, can provide one-on-one consultation throughout the custom home planning and design process. Customers have full control and give Honest Abe direction on the impact that building "Green" should have on their project.
"Green Building Initiative" Partners
- Through educational sessions and training, salespeople, builders and Independent Dealers of Honest Abe Log Homes may be recognized as a partner of our "Green Building Initiative". Educational opportunities include the various Green Building seminars hosted by Honest Abe, as well as third-party groups such as the NAHB. This allows for a quick reference for our customers.
Arbor Day Foundation Membership
- New home owners can receive a complimentary one-year membership to the Arbor Day Foundation, a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization. Along with membership, customers receive 10 free tree seedlings to plant around their new log home. Enrollment is made on request to allow customers to have seedlings arrive when their home-site is prepared.